Blog #0: First Day/Introduction


The First Day/Introduction


My name is Laura Brownlow. I’m a senior communications major and will be graduating this semester. I come from a multicultural background, my mother is from Trinidad and Tobago and my father was born in Alabama but raised in Honduras and Panama. I have traveled the world with my family unit, for leisure and for my father’s work (he was in the Air Force). When my family finally settled in Florida I was in middle school and have called it my home ever since. Tampa has been a major part of my life, and I love being able to stay here for college. 


I am an artist, but not really a digital one. I love to paint and have loved to since my childhood. Acrylic paint is what I mostly use but have recently been venturing into watercolor and oil. I grew up around a lot of music and art, so it’s only natural for one of my main hobbies to be painting. My parents are/were both creatives, but only in their spare time. I hope to use my art in my future career somehow and be able to live the dream that my parents did not get to, not only for them but for myself. I also love writing, but only when there aren’t many restrictions or limitations on what I can create. 


Digital Media Studio (FMX 210) seems like an intriguing course, it’s different than others that I have taken. Most of the courses I’ve taken over my academic career are journalism and writing based, this one seems to be the opposite. That isn’t exactly a bad thing, as I need experience in digital media and design for possible career opportunities and just in general.  I hope that I gain meaningful educational and creative experience from this course. It is not an area of art/creating that I am used to, but I’m more than open to learning about it and how I can use it in the future. It’s important to have experience in all fields, and I think coming into it with an open mind will help me gain a positive outcome from this course even if it is difficult for me.

Comments

Popular Posts